2007/12/11

Ciao Darwin ?!?

Sometimes, you see strange things on late night shows on TV... and TV that comes from abroad.

Once in a while, my cable provider gives "free preview" of various TV channels they carry. Last night, it seems that all international channels were unlocked.

TV from Italy (several channels, including the RAI), Greece, Germany, Hungary, Spain, and on this side of the Atlantic, Central and South America. I saw also something in Japanese. (No, I haven't seen Al Jazeera either in Arabic nor in English, nor France 24).

I was watching an Italian TV channel... and there was a really really weird TV game show. A cross of Jeopardy and the Gong Show. :)

Two contestants in ordinary clothes, each of them is sitting in a tube tank. Every time a contestant missed a question... the tank is filled with water.

Oopsie!

In the show I saw, there was a guy in ordinary t-shirt and jeans, the lady with long hair wearing a very nice dress. (but nothing revealing being shown. :) ).

The questions weren't that hard either. (Well, my Italian is rusty, but since it's so close to French, I could get the gist of these questions. I think I would have just my feet wet. :)

In the Italian show, there seems to be a "sprint", when the contestant becomes entirely submerged and holding his breathe, the other contestant must answer a bunch of questions as quickly as possible. Dunno, I think I would take my time, just to see how long the other guy is going to hold. ;)

International TV... and the crazy thing you see. Imagine when our TV stations will get fed up of "Big Brother", or they'll convince Alex Trebek to wear his swimsuit.

That being said, what's all that fuss about taking a dip in a water tank with all your clothes on? With boys and girlfriends, we did that many times in the summer time in the pool and we had a devil of fun. :) That's also how I learn underwater photography, each of us "modeling" underwater for the camera and I'm not kidding. And that was in the '70s, when I was young and sexy. Sigh. :)

So if you're curious about "Ciao Darwin", here is what Wikipedia is saying. Apparently, they sold the rights to several European countries. Since seeing is believing, I did some researches on YouTube. I've found a short 3-minute video, I _think_ it's in Hungarian or Polish, but this show is quite similar to the one I saw last night in Italian, minus the sprint when the other guy is completely submerged.

PS: The effect of curved glass and water... suddenly, you are at peace with your waist line. :)

PPS: Wanna bet that this show will appear in North America in a few years?

Cheers,

-E

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sure you're right that it will end up in North America. I don't really have any other thoughts about it, except it can't really compete with fear factor, unless of course the contestant can't swim!

The Eskimo said...

Hehehe!!!

Dunno, I think they'll do like American Idols, They take the worst candidates possible.

The idea is that they get well soaked. ;)

Cheers!

-E