2007/09/10

Wellfleet: A village teaming up...



The frustrating thing about FC, you can't mention names, nor you can provide links nor post multiple photos.

Anyway... seeing that big accident on Route 6 in North Eastham, the exact same stretch of road which I was also involved in a car accident, I was a bit undecided about going to Wellfleet on bicycle. Besides, it was my last full day on the Cape.

Not that I'm supertitious... on the other hand... I was a bit uneasy to get there. There are narrow winding roads to the village, at regular intervals there are signs warning drivers that this is a "Blind Drive"... so cycling can and *IS* dangerous on these roads. Drivers see you literally at the last second.

Anyhow, I went to the village and my first stop was town hall. On my way, there were all these signs everywhere. Curious, I have to inquire.

So he is the "Wilbur" I was referring in my other blog. Caleb Potter, the son of a family of commercial fishermen. A skateboarding accident on July 4th has sent him to an hospital in Boston, and for two months he was between life and death.

As a city kid, it's impressive to see a village teaming up for one of theirs. You wouldn't see that in Montréal, other than in the immediate family members and friends. That's the drama of big cities.

Here in Wellfleet, everyone is supportive of Caleb. There were (still are?) daily prayers near town hall and you would see these signs all over the village for these prayers.

I was there... and I was pondering and pondering... It took me a while before I hit the road again.

Despite the terrible tragedy, there's a village that could teach us a good lesson, I'd say.

I left the Cape the next day. The news back then were good for him, but it's going to be a looooooong recovery.

At blogspot, there's a blog about his current conditions: http://calebpotter.blogspot.com

I'm sending healing waves across the border. I wish him well.

Aurevoir Caleb, et bon courage!

-J

No comments: