2007/09/30

ASL revisited... Breastfeeding challenge and President's Cup...

If you're wondering about a common denominator... Think of Montréal. :)

ASL: I'm learning the language. Since this is a "general-purpose" blog, so I won't always blog about Sign Language.

I rearrange things a little bit here (see links on the right-hand side), so you can easily locate blog entries about ASL. Well... I hope. :)

I'm still playing with the controls here at Blogspot/Blogger (does one know the difference between the two anyway?). So I'm experimenting.



Breastfeeding challenge: Over 400 mothers came to Place Bonaventure (a big shopping mall & office tower in downtown Montréal) today. Apparently this is an event that took place across the country (Ottawa, Toronto, Calgary and Vancouver) as well as in the US.

Awww... lucky babies. :)

On a serious note... it is the kind of events that bring mixed feelings. I'm all in favour for such events to take place, with great fanfare... but if you think of it... they shouldn't have to.

I'm also thinking of my gay brothers and sisters and the annual Gay Pride parade. I've been there many times, and I'm highly supportive...

But it seems to me that we're in a very sick society when events like these are still needed... to make a point. We should be past that. But apparently we aren't.

About breastfeeding, the benefits are there, it is Nature's intent... and there's nothing indecent about breastfeeding. Why we should be ashamed of our bodily functions?

Yet, recent incidents like at the Burlington airport, which a mother had to face humiliation (and losing her flight. Thanks... Delta! :) ) because she was nursing.... This is still happening too frequently. We're in 2007, it seems...

Last week, I was in Ottawa, and I was looking at the monument to Human Rights. It seems I vaguely recall that humans are born free mhhh... I think they also mention dignity and rights. I think. :)



President's Cup: Well, you have seen that poor fellow taking a dip in the water... with all his clothes. :) This golf tournament is happening in Montréal, and actually just a few miles from my home!

(I'm thinking that the water must have felt ICY to him.. For several days, we're having COLD temperatures... to the point that we're close to the FREEZING point at night. Whoopy. :) ).

Ile Bizard (literally "Weird Island", charming isn't it? :) ), is where the golf tournament is happening, and that little island is part of Montréal. There's just one bridge that links that island to Montréal... and only a handful of roads that gets there.

When you think that 30,000 people and + are going there every day to such an isolated area...

It means absolutely INSANE traffic in my neighborhood. It also means that the public transit system in my area are out of whack. Last Friday, I had to WALK to the train station. A 30-minute walk. I had no bus service at all. They were all jammed up miles behind, at the golf club. :)

Ahhh... the life of the rich and famous... Mhhhhh... come to think of it, I prefer my low key life... and the company of my two cats. :)

Cheers,

-E

No comments: