2007/09/26

ASL Movies...

The fun of the World Wide Web... you follow links and you "travel" from one web site to another. Like travels in the real world, there are plenty of fascinating things to discover.

So I landed on a web site about movies in ASL (American Sign Language).

Mhhh, maybe I should make this clear. I'm not saying that like sub-titles on foreign movies, there's a sign interpreter at the corner of the screen, signing the dialogue between actors.

No. I'm talking about the "L" in ASL. LANGUAGE. ASL is a language in its own right, like French, English, German, etc...

So I'm talking about movies... which actors "speak"... in ASL.

I was there, watching the trailers of these movies... fascinated.

At the same time, I had to tap my forehead with my hand. But OF COURSE!

When you say language, you say culture. In these modern days, a symbol of culture... is the movie production, don't you think?

I'm "just a hearing person". As I'm learning ASL on my own, I'm also discovering their culture. :)

It's a small web site, but I figure they deserve a tip of the hat. ASLfilms.com

Cheers,

-E

No comments: