2009/05/14

Human rights... over there.

A comment, said I'm sure with all good intents, that got me into this chain of thoughts...

"You know, you don't have to visit your parents so often".

Of course, I don't have to, but I do hope that you aren't telling me something... else?

Here's the scoop: After 3 years of being a caregiver, first to my dad, and later to *both* dad and mom, it's been about 2 weeks that they got relocated, to what they called here, a "ressource intermédiaire". It's more like "assisted living".

Apparently, the facility got praise for its excellence, overall.

While my parents were at home, I got plenty of help from the CLSC, the "everything under the same roof" governmental social services. They provide at home health care of all kinds.

From time to time, especially toward the end, I hired up private help, so I could take a much needed break, and enjoy vacations away of Montréal.

From people bathing my parents, doing some laundry, then the nurse, then the occupational therapist, then people doing the cooking and some of household chore. At noon, then at 6PM. Toward the end, there were 4 to 6 different people *a day* visiting my parents.

Nearly all were super cool people. To have seen them in action during all of those years, it takes people with a *BIG* heart to do these jobs.

Nearly all.

For instance, I've blogged on FC last fall about a "préposé au bain", a person giving bath to my parents who literally ruled the house as soon as she stepped in. I learn later that this person has come a few times, and everytime it coincided that I was away of Montréal.

But not this time.

She was rude with my parents, even in front of me, and even after I told her that I'm their son... and the one who has *HIRED HER* (well, her agency) to bath my parents!

"Sir, you speak too much".

Wow...

Well, in no time she was speaking all to herself outdoor too. A verbal complaint, followed by a *written* complaint made sure that she won't ever come back. To my knowledge, she didn't.

Over those years, there have been a few cases like that. That's why I'm saying that "nearly all" of the many people coming to my parents' house were super fine, but...

So, there are exceptions. A few, but that's a few... too many.

My parents were just too terrorized to protest.

Those bad apples have been thrown out... because *I* happened to be there.

So that phrase I got from an employee at the "ressource intermédiaire" that "I don't have to visit my parents so frequently"... I'm sure it was said with a good intent, and my frequent visits are at first to ease the transition, -for all of us- in fact, and of course I would ease my visits a bit afterward. So far, I have nothing but praise for the entire personnel, but in the above context, mhhh...

When you are old and ailing... you are extremely powerless to those who have powers onto you.

Nor everyone can count on a relative to speak on their behalf either.

Human rights, it's not just at the other end of the planet, it starts right here at home...

-E

No comments: