2008/05/16

Greetings from Yosemite, California!

Leaving Québec, welcome California! Leaving damp grey weather, welcoming, enjoying, treasuring... sunny California weather. It is H-O-T! Around 100F even in supposdely cool San Francisco, and 85F here in cool Yosemite Park, at an atltitude of 4000'.

Leaving San Francisco and its clogged freeways, it's California route 120 all the way to Yosemite Park.

Route 120 is a fascinating road.

Past the glow of San Francisco and its urbanity, the scenery flirts with the desert.

Of all times, men have been fascinated by wind, and how to harness it.

A common sighting on route 120, are those modern windmills.

It is a hot debate in Québec, while in California, they're doing it.

Ugly? Who defines beauty? The Eiffel Tower was once deemed by many Parisians as the most ugliest pile of steel.

To me, it is an eerie sight. Neither ugly nor beautiful just... mhhh... well, with the desert and the blazing heat, just eerie. It is *also* audibly eerie. Wind turbines are a tad noisy. The sound they make is difficult to describe.

On the way to Glacier Point, at some 8000' of altitude. Notice the tall trees...

Oh, my digicam is working all right, it is S-N-O-W on the ground. Snow at an ambient air temperature of 80F.

Got a problem? Not me. :)

After driving through the desert, now those tall trees. Going through snow during a California heatwave makes sense, right? Right. ;)

Life isn't a string of contradictions?

The view at 8000', at Glacier Point.

Doesn't it inspire... respect, serenity, peacefulness? Away the craziness and ugliness of the urban city? Before your eyes, the wonders of nature, in her full beauty.

Time to dream... of a better world, isn't it?

One would wish to stay for a little while. However, hiking in altitude, every little step reminds me... that I'm a sea-level creature.

While hiking, this little guy zoomed by just before me.

Hey my friend, be careful!

As if he understands what I'm telling him. Oh silly me. :)

He's now basking under the sun, I think he got it right. It's good for reptiles, it's good for humans too. :)

A trip to Yosemite isn't complete without a photo of its famous waterfall.

Not appearing clearly on the photo was a rainbow at the bottom of the fall.

If you're planning a trip to Yosemite, they'll tell you the best time to see the waterfall is now, in May. In the summer time, the waterfall dries up.

You know what? It's been a few days that I'm in California... I'm not eager to return to Québec. Naw... :)

(I hope that I've made you jealous. :) )

Cheers from Yosemite National Park, California!

-E

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love CA! I have also been on the road recently, but I was in Mozambique!

xo CG.

The Eskimo said...

Ahh, travels!!!

Even for work, it's fun to travel. :)

Cheers (and I'm guilty of not checking your blog recently. Will do!!!)

-E